HOW TO KILL OFF A TREE STUMP
Recommended for all of the following:
Robinia, elm, ash, Tree of Heaven, Oleander, Umbrella, Camphor Laurel, Peppercorn, Carob (flame tree), Hawthorn. Lantana, Liquid amber, Tecoma, Olive, some fruit trees, Eucalypts.
We recommend a poisoning regime for the all stumps of the above. Stumps are still alive and grinding will only remove the stump – peripheral roots will then spring into life, producing many new trees.
Regime – Use only “Tree & Blackberry Killer” available at any hardware store. Read and follow mixing directions.
Drill at least 8 holes around the edge of the bark where it meets the internal wood (Cambrian layer) and immediately (within 1 minute) fill the holes with the mixture. Cover the stump with waterproof plastic and weigh down.
After 10-14 days, re-drill more holes and repeat process.
Wait 10-14 days, re-drill holes and repeat. Watch closely for any new growth and if any, brush with mixture on any dry day.
If there is an absence of new growth after 8 weeks from the initial poisoning, we can be reasonably assured the stump is dead and grinding can go ahead.
WHAT TO DO IF a Stump has been ground, but there is re-growth
- Use only ‘Tree & Blackberry Killer’ (avail at Hardware Stores)
- Mix with Diesel according to directions on label. Store in a glass jar – do not store in plastic.
- Using an old paint brush, on a dry day, brush poison on any re-growth leaves or on freshly cut exposed roots. If any old stump remains – drill a fresh hole and pour a little mixture in.
- Cover with plastic if dew or rain expected within 36 hours. Weigh the plastic down – take plastic off after 36 hours
- Repeat every time new shoots appear, re-cut exposed roots (use secatures) and repeat steps 3 & 4
- After 10 weeks, if there is an absence of new re-growth, there is a good chance the remaining stumps and roots are dead.
- Ring us on 0418 845 182 to make arrangements for the area to be ground properly.
With the above named trees, there can be no 100% guarantee, but by following the above steps you will be in the best position to win the war.